Code of Conduct
Harassment is not okay. ThoughtSummit has a goal to be a safe, inclusive, and fun conference. Our community is respectful and friendly, so we don’t anticipate problematic behaviour. But, if something does happen, we want you to know we’ve got your back.
What is harassment?
For the purposes of attending any event related to ThoughtSummit, these unacceptable behaviors will be considered harassment:
- Offensive verbal comments related to gender, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, mental health, body size, race, or religion
- Sexual images in public spaces
- Deliberate intimidation, stalking, or following
- Inappropriate photography or video/audio recording
- Sustained disruption of talks or other events
- Inappropriate physical or sexual contact and/or unwelcome physical or sexual attention
- Sexualized clothing/uniforms/costumes or anything else that creates a sexualized environment
We expect participants to follow these rules at the conference and any related social events. Participants asked to stop any harassing behaviors are expected to comply immediately.
What should I do if I’m being harassed?
Contact a volunteer or organizer right away. You will recognize them because they will have distinctive identification, such as a lanyard, name tag, or t-shirt.
You may request a private conversation with Carolien Dekeersmaeker, or you may email firstname.lastname@example.org if you prefer not to report the incident in person.
How will the ThoughtSummit respond to harassment?
If anyone behaves in a harassing manner, conference volunteers and/or organizers will take immediate action. We’ll use our best judgment to resolve the situation as quickly as possible. Here are some of the actions we may deem appropriate:
- A warning to the offender not to repeat the harassing behavior
- Expulsion from the conference without a refund
- Contacting venue security
- Providing a safe escort for the harassed person
- Reporting the incident to local law enforcement
We will work with both parties in good faith to ensure that any harassment ceases immediately. We will do whatever we can to be sure you feel safe for the duration of the event.
Who does this policy cover?
All event organizers, volunteers, speakers, and attendees are protected by and expected to follow this policy.